As women we experience many life changes, from change in environment to a new school, city or even relationship status you know it is not an easy transition. Most people, like me, are resistant to changes; it’s human nature. Why? You may ask… Because it takes us out of our security blanket of consistency and familiarity. Change is defined by dictionary.com as “to make the form, nature, content, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone: …to transform or convert.” Change in its definition alone is dramatic, so going through the actual motions can be just as impactful. Being able to “reframe (look at the positive or silver lining),” life’s inevitable changes will allow us to be resilient and have a more positive, successful life even when it seems impossible. A quote by Andre Gide
says “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” Where is your new ocean?
Here are 5 tips to help you be resilient during times of change
• Reframe- although there may be many emotions tagged along with change look at the positive thing that this change may bring. The possibility to start over and make better decisions than in the past. The prospects of a new opportunity and the ability to follow your dreams. Instead of thinking about what you have lost look at what you may have gained instead.
• Prepare the best you can- the only way to do this is to realize change is inevitable to embrace it instead of run from it. Find your purpose in that change and watch your progression increase in no time at all.
• Control what you can- Don’t try to control the change. Empower yourself; control what you can which is the reaction to change. Riding the wave is much easier than trying to fight; it’s a losing battle.
• DON’T complain- Even though it would be easier to kick and scream during the ride of change, remember the destination. Being optimistic always makes change easier if you speak positive things you will also feel them as well.
• Find that constant¬- a belief in a higher power or your family. Find that constant that gives you comfort. Quotes that renew your sprit in hard times, those are the best things to get you through the turbulence of change.
“Change your view, you change your world.”