Did you know Americans will put about $430 Billion back into the economy this holiday season? Did you also know that the AVERAGE American will spend up to $750 on gifts this year? Meaning that a two-person home will spend up to $1500! I don’t know about yall but that is so not my budget. At all.
With Christmas only 14 days away, and with most of us still scrambling around to find the perfect gift for the special people in our lives, we still have a little time to save. Instead of neglecting our bills, maxing out credit cards, or fighting for the last Malibu Barbie, we should give the most precious gift that no one can find in the stores–ourselves.
This holiday season, let’s think of different ways to give of ourselves to those we love, those we lost or even those we do not know. Below are 6 ways we can partake in this great gift-giving season that will cost you little to no money at all!
1. Volunteer at a homeless shelter. (It is a very liberating and humbling experience.)
2. Call an older relative (grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) just to say “Happy Holidays” and “I love you.” (Trust me a simple phone call goes a long way.)
3. Rekindle an old friendship. (You’ll be surprised what becomes of it.)
4. Cook a holiday meal for a single-parent home.
5. Invite a friend/co-worker with no holiday plans over for dinner.
6. Give holiday cards to someone you do not know ( You never know who you may touch.)
Often times we get so caught up in the holiday craziness that we lose what the holidays are all about: Giving. Hopefully this list is helpful as we wrap up this busiest time of the year! Remember: No one in this world is more special than you, no one in this world is more deserving of the great gifts you will receive, but most of all no one will be able to give the most perfect gift–YOU!
“You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.” –Kahlil Gibran